Sunday, June 26, 2011

Telecommunications Triumph

June 24, 2011

Background: The other day I was stuck at the mall for about a hundred hours waiting for the folks at Sears to fix my car.  To while away the time, I picked up The Girls from Ames (Jeffrey Zaslow) from the sale rack at Borders, and I've since been thinking a lot about the friendships that have beautified my life.  The book is about a group of 11 girls who became friends throughout their youth and have remained close into their 40's.  I am about halfway into the book and, as far as I can tell, there is little that is truly remarkable or unique about their story.  However, as I read, I can't help but reflect on the memories and idiosyncracies of my own friendships, and damned if I don't feel that they are each remarkable in their own way.  This leads me to conclude that friendship is remarkable enough it and of itself, no matter how ordinary the history or the circumstances of any given friendship.

So, thinking about my friends scattered across the globe naturally led me to marvel at the rapidly changing way in which we all stay connected to one another.  As cliche as this is, I am deeply grateful to be living in an age where talking to friends halfway across the country (or world), and even seeing them!, is free and easy.  This leads me to today's triumph:



If it's a little hard to discern what's happening here, I'll explain:  This is a zoomed-in screen shot of a (complicated) video chat that I recently enjoyed with Kate and Kathryn, two of my best friends.  I (in Louisville) am video-chatting with Kate in Seattle, who is Facetiming with Kathryn in Camden and holding up her iPhone so that I can also video chat with Kathryn in Camden, through Kate in Seattle!  Incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment