Sunday, August 7, 2011

Poison Control Triumph

I almost forgot a huge triumph today!  I am a survivor of cyanide poisoning!  So here's the story.

I cut open a peach today and the pit split in half.  I was THRILLED to be seeing the inside of a peach pit because this is something I've never seen before.  To my surprise, there was a nut inside that looked JUST like an almond.  (By the way, all of this may very well be common knowledge, but it was new to me, so humor me.)   It didn't have much of a smell, so naturally I wanted to taste it to see if it tasted like an almond!  I bit in and chewed it up just enough to realize it was atrociously bitter and spit it out.  The weird thing was that the after taste was very reminiscent of almond extract.  I consulted the internet to learn about this mysterious nut, and it turns out that 1) peaches and almonds are indeed related, and 2) the nut inside of a peach pit has cyanide in it!  Yikes!  That's the last time I bite into something without knowing what it is!



(Of course, the amount of cyanide in that nut is not enough to hurt me, and the bitterness prevented me from actually ingesting it, but I can't help it if it makes me feel triumphant to think that I survived cyanide poisoning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment